Purpose of this digital marketing tutorial is to create awareness about digital marketing and help you understand the fundamentals of Digital Marketing.
Before you move to advanced digital marketing topics, it’s important to learn and understand the basics of digital marketing.
In this tutorial, we will learn the basics of Digital Marketing and various topics covered in digital marketing.
|Here is a link to new blog: How to Become Digital Marketing Expert|
What is Marketing?
Before you learn Digital Marketing, It’s important to understand what is marketing.
Marketing is not about promotion or advertising only. Marketing is a complex topic or a concept which is used to make a comprehensive plan of action or a strategy to increase sell, create awareness about brands and products etc.
In very simple terms Marketing means communicating the RIGHT message, to the RIGHT people using RIGHT medium.
Marketing plays a major role in creating awareness about a business, increasing customer base, growing sales and building brand. Marketing is one of the most important parts of any business and without effective marketing, growing business becomes almost impossible.
Effective marketing requires careful planning, creative approaches, and smart execution
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is all about promoting business using digital channels like Internet, website, blogs, social media platforms, video marketing, mobile marketing, email marketing and the list is huge…
Digital marketing is not new. It’s been around since the Internet started. Now digital marketing is becoming popular due to the increase in internet users, mobile phone users and digital content consumption.
What are major topics covered under Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is huge and complex, which includes many topics and sub-topics. To become a digital marketing expert, it’s important to have knowledge about all digital marketing topics
List of digital marketing topics
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- PPC Advertising
- Display Advertising
- Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- E-Mail Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Digital Video Advertising
- Online Digital PR
- Blogging & Influential Marketing
Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing is also known as inbound marketing by some people. Search engine marketing means you use search engine as your primary marketing channel. Search engine marketing contains SEO and search advertising.
Search Engine Optimization (Also known as SEO)
Search engine optimization is one of the most important parts of Digital Marketing. SEO is about getting organic traffic on website from search engines. In digital marketing space, SEO is considered as one of the most effective channels for getting visibility, traffic on website without spending too much.
Things to know about SEO
- SEO is a long term strategy
- SEO is part of inbound marketing and Search Engine Marketing
- SEO gives you better ROI compared to other channels.
- Search Engine Optimization is difficult, complex and time-consuming. But, delivers better results if implemented properly.
Search advertising is another popular channel of digital marketing. Search advertising is often confused with PPC. Search advertising is about paid advertisement in search engines.
- Search advertising is paid advertising
- Typically advertiser will pay per click
- display advertising is also part of search advertising sometimes
- Google Adwords is one of the most popular platform for search advertising
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is about using social networking platforms and social media websites for marketing. Social media marketing is now becoming popular due to increase in internet users and social networking users. Social media marketing is about promoting business using social networking platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Quora, LinkedIn and many such popular social media networking website.
- Social media marketing is growing very fast
- Social media advertising is also part of social media marketing
- social media marketing has both organic and paid channels
- Facebook Ads, LinkedIn ads, Twitter Ads etc. is part of social media marketing
Email Marketing & marketing automation
E-mail marketing is one of the most confusing part of digital marketing mix. some people call it bulk mail, some people call it mass mail and some are even confused between mass mail and email marketing.
Email marketing is very old marketing channel and it’s also changing very fast. email is one of the most preferred communication channel for marketing after SMS and growth of whatsapp and other marketing channels.
Email marketing is not the primary channel for marketing but it’s an enabler. It’s a communication channel between brands and buyers. Everyday email marketing is improving and now email marketing has become part of marketing automation.
Marketing Automation is the future of email marketing.
- E-mail marketing is now becoming part of marketing automation
- Email marketing is a very effective medium for communication
- Email marketing offers much better ROI compared to many other marketing channels
Now you know what is digital marketing and various digital marketing channels, you can now move to the next article of how digital marketing works.