Digital Marketing Tutorial
This Digital Marketing Tutorial covers all major digital marketing topics to improve promote your business online, generate more inquiries and get more traffic to blog.
In this Article we will cover all following topics:
- What is Marketing?
- Digital Marketing Fundamentals
- Different types of digital marketing channels
- Advantages & Benefits of digital marketing
- Difference between traditional and digital marketing
What is Marketing?
Before you learn Digital Marketing, It’s important to understand what is marketing.
Marketing is not about promotion or advertising only. Marketing is a complex topic or a concept which is used to make a comprehensive plan of action or a strategy to increase sell, create awareness, improve brand awareness, etc.
In very simple terms Marketing means communicating RIGHT message, to RIGHT people using RIGHT medium.
Marketing plays a major role in creating awareness about business, increasing customer base, growing sales and building brand. Marketing is one of the most important parts of any business and without effective marketing, growing business becomes almost impossible.
Effective marketing requires careful planning, creative approaches, and smart execution
What is Digital Marketing?
In the beginning of my this article, I mentioned, marketing is all about communicating the right message to the right people using right medium.
In the past, marketing involved cold calling, traveling and meeting people, exhibitions, advertising on TV and radio, newspaper and pamphlet etc.
Now things are changing very fast.
Today Marketing is done using Internet and mobiles. That’s Digital Marketing.
Definition of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is all about promoting a business using digital channels like Internet, website, blogs, social media platforms, video marketing, mobile marketing, email marketing and the list is huge…
Digital Marketing is the future of Marketing and this is going to stay for another 15+ years
What are major topics covered under Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing includes many topics. In digital marketing world, we call them channels. Mainly digital marketing is segmented in two major parts. Search Engine Marketing and Social Media Marketing, while Email Marketing, SMS Marketing, Blogging, Affiliate Marketing are additional components of digital marketing.
In this article we will try to understand major components of digital marketing and their role.
Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing is also known as inbound marketing by some people. Search engine marketing means you use search engine as your primary marketing channel. Search engine marketing contains SEO and search advertising.
Many people or institutes are confusing people with connecting SEM with PPC which is not true.
Search Engine Optimization (Also known as SEO)
Search engine optimization is one of the most important part of Digital Marketing. SEO is about getting organic traffic on website from search engines. In digital marketing space, SEO is considers as one of the most effective channel for getting visibility, traffic on website without spending too much.
Things to know about SEO
- SEO is long term strategy
- SEO is part of inbound marketing and Search Engine Marketing
- SEO gives you better ROI compared to other channels.
- Search Engine Optimization is difficult, complex and time consuming. But, delivers better results if implemented properly.
Search advertising is another popular channel of digital marketing. Search advertising is often confused with PPC. Search advertising is about paid advertisement in search engines.
- Search advertising is paid advertising
- Typically advertiser will pay per click
- display advertising is also part of search advertising sometimes
- Google Adwords is one of the most popular platform for search advertising
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is about using social networking platforms and social media websites for marketing. Social media marketing is now becoming popular due to increase in internet users and social networking users. Social media marketing is about promoting business using social networking platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Quora, LinkedIn and many such popular social media networking website.
- Social media marketing is growing very fast
- Social media advertising is also part of social media marketing
- social media marketing has both organic and paid channels
- Facebook Ads, LinkedIn ads, Twitter Ads etc. is part of social media marketing
Email Marketing & marketing automation
E-mail marketing is one of the most confusing part of digital marketing mix. some people call it bulk mail, some people call it mass mail and some are even confused between mass mail and email marketing.
Email marketing is very old marketing channel and it’s also changing very fast. email is one of the most preferred communication channel for marketing after SMS and growth of whatsapp and other marketing channels.
Email marketing is not primary channel for marketing but it’s enabler. It’s communication channel between brands and buyers. Everyday email marketing is improving and now email marketing has become part of marketing automation.
Marketing Automation is future of email marketing.
- E-mail marketing is now becoming part of marketing automation
- Email marketing is very effective medium for communication
- Email marketing offers much better ROI compared to many other marketing channels
Mobile marketing is not new. Mobile marketing use SMS, whatsapp and mobile applications for marketing purpose. Mobile marketing has it’s own advantages and limitations.
Advantages of Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing allows you to reach a broader and targeted audience, faster than traditional medium at much lower cost.
Digital Marketing is the Future of Marketing
As I said marketing is about communicating right message to right audience using right channel. Today digital media is right channel to connect with audience. This is major reason why brands and companies are using digital channels to connecting with their potential customers.
Some Interesting Stats about Indian Digital Marketing Industry
- As per a recent report by IAMAI and Boston consulting group, India has one of the largest and fastest growing populations of Internet users in the world—190 million as of June 2014 and growing rapidly.
- According to a report, India will cross 500 million Internet Users Mark in 2020
- According to Direct Marketing Association, Digital Marketing Industry is worth $62 billion
- According to a recent report Digital Advertising in India, jointly published by IAMAI and IMRB, the value of Online Advertising market in India is expected to increase to Rs 3575 Crore by Mar 2015 from Rs 2750 Crore a year earlier; around 30 per cent YoY growth.
- According to a joint study conducted by ASSOCHAM and Deloitte, Indian eCommerce industry has grown steadily from $4.4 billion in 2010 to $13.6 billion in 2014 and expected to touch $16 billion by the end of 2015.
Newspaper readership is declining, people don’t go to exhibitions, they don’t read pamphlets, they don’t want to be bombarded with marketing slogans and ads which are not relevant to them.
If you are a business owner then your job is to close sales and not generating inquiries. If you waste your time in generating leads, who will work on closing deals?
It’s time to switch your focus from traditional marketing to digital marketing which will allow you to reach right people at right time at much lower cost per acquisition.